Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#323380 - 16/06/2009 16:44 "Change your downtime window please" - US State Department to Twitter
drakino
carpal tunnel

Interesting tech side to the election mess in Iran, The US State Department asked Twitter to delay their planned downtime so that it is less likely to impact the news coming out of Iran via tweets.

source.

It amazes me how Twitter has become a new way of communicating important details during a crisis situation.

#323381 - 16/06/2009 17:19 Re: "Change your downtime window please" - US State Department to Twitter [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: drakino
...delay their planned downtime...

It amazes me how Twitter has become a new way of communicating important details during a crisis situation.

Especially since Twitter constantly has un-planned downtime.

But you're right, this is pretty interesting.

#323382 - 16/06/2009 17:29 Re: "Change your downtime window please" - US State Department to Twitter [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Especially since Twitter constantly has un-planned downtime.

Twitter with no scheduled maint is going to be interesting...

<random>What is with all these "web 2.0" sites and not actually have any real revenue streams?</random>

#323385 - 16/06/2009 17:44 Re: "Change your downtime window please" - US State Department to Twitter [Re: tman]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: tman
<random>What is with all these "web 2.0" sites and not actually have any real revenue streams?</random>

I think you may have discovered Twitter's new business model. The cost for the U.S. Government to keep Twitter alive would seem like a pretty good investment relative to its ability to have desirable (?) impact.

#323386 - 16/06/2009 17:46 Re: "Change your downtime window please" - US State Department to Twitter [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: tman

They have the best revenue stream of all: unwarranted venture capital funding!

Seriously, I can't believe how many millions have gone into Twitter without any hit as to how it's going to make money in the future. All the proposed methods don't sound to me like they'll make them much money.

Don't these VCs remember the first bubble?

#323394 - 16/06/2009 18:44 Re: "Change your downtime window please" - US State Department to Twit [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I'm not surprised at the money. I'm just surprised people use Twitter at all. Frankly, when I'm wiping my ass, I don't have the inclination to text the world to tell everyone about it.

Facebook, Twitter, MySpace = AOL 2.0 aka The Sheep internet.

Ok, so I can somewhat understand those who publish news items with it trying to drive traffic to their sites.

But even the prospect of being able to drive some additional sales traffic isn't luring enough to make me want to use Twitter manually. I suppose I could set up an RSS to Twitter automated feed for news items.

And just like RSS, I would never actually subscribe to anything or spend any time with it myself.

#323398 - 16/06/2009 19:20 Re: "Change your downtime window please" - US State Department to Twit [Re: hybrid8]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
FWIW, twitter has been HUGE at the World Series of Poker for reporting hands, progress in tournaments, etc. I have not yet succumbed (for some reason, I tend to be a late adopter of technology trends- I only even got an empeg because, let's face it, once you saw one in all its glory, how could you not?), but many of my poker buddies are going nuts over the technology to keep everyone informed.

#323414 - 17/06/2009 01:33 Re: "Change your downtime window please" - US State Department to Twit [Re: JeffS]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Doing any good out there? I'm considering a trip July 3-10 to demolish some drunken cash games. How long will you be out there?

#323417 - 17/06/2009 11:27 Re: "Change your downtime window please" - US State Department to Twit [Re: TigerJimmy]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
Doing any good out there? I'm considering a trip July 3-10 to demolish some drunken cash games. How long will you be out there?

I"m not- just sweating friends remotely atm frown

I took a year and a half break from poker, actually. It may sound silly, but it got "too serious" for me as a hobby. I got up to 200NL, then stopped because it finally start sinking in that I was playing with real money. When I deposited my first $50 back in the day, the idea was just to have some fun and play some cards. I wasn't emotionally prepared to work a second job, if that makes any kinds of sense. I got a little obsessive and it was emotionally crushing to lose a $600 pot (even though I know in my head that's just part of the game). So I ended up cashing out an 8K bankroll and going on a cruise.

Within the last month, though, I've returned to the game and am trying to learn again, this time a bit more seriously. I know I have what it takes to beat the game (once I shake the dust off), but this time I'm a little bit clearer on my goals. I'm just donking around at 25NL- but once I feel comfortable I've got my poker legs back, I plan to make a deposit and start playing a bit higher. The fact that my job is going away soon may or may not have anything to do with this :p

Bottom line is- no bankroll for WSOP action at this time. I'm living vicariously through some friends who were able to get ME seats and buy into some events. If I'm going strong next year, though, I might go out for the live games (probably won't be rolled for tournaments though).

Nice to hear you are still playing. Is poker still treating you well, then? Is it still your main source of income?

Oh, and I've pretty much given 2+2 the heave ho at this point and am just sticking with a tight nit group of poker buddies. There's some good info on that site, but there are very few interesting HHs at this point and the bravado is just tough to wade through.